[Engineering] Bug reports about on-wiki email not being delivered

Nick Wilson (Quiddity) nwilson at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 31 20:58:28 UTC 2016

IIUC, the technical problems are best described by Faidon in
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T134886#2291395 ("[Bug] Cannot send
any email via Email this user in wikipedia.ru")

IIUC, that task is a duplicate of this older task
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66795 ("DMARC: Users cannot send
emails via a wiki's [[Special:EmailUser]]")
(plus other probable duplicates listed earlier e.g.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T136468 and others)

Q: Is that accurate, and are these ALL duplicates of the DMARC issue,
and could usefully be merged?

One suggested solution was split out these action items:
* "Block Special:EmailUser for people with a DMARC-problem address"
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T137603
* "Create a list of domains used by Wikimedia users that have active
DMARC records"
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T137614

Q: Is that the best way forward, at least in the short term?
If yes, who can help work on them?
If no, then what could be the steps to resolve this (short and medium term)?

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 8:48 AM, Tony Thomas <01tonythomas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper at wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> This is still an issue creating tension / attention in communities,
>> recently in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T136468
>

> I had pinged people who can take an action on #wikimedia-dev channel
> awaiting reply.
>
> tonythomas> Jeff_Green: Reedy legoktm : have time to take a look at what is
> happening with https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T144390 -- all these
> complaints about emails not arriving :(
>
> Thanks,
> Tony Thomas