[Engineering] Tech Talks @ WMF

Rachel Farrand rfarrand at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 10 22:31:38 UTC 2016

Hey Everyone,

If you would like to give a tech talk, hear a tech talk on a specific
topic, or know a volunteer who could give an interesting tech talk please
get in touch with me and I can help you organize and announce it.

--------------------------

Tech talks are usually either 30 min or an hour long and can be done by
somebody based in SF or somebody who is remote. We usually leave time at
the end for Q&A from IRC & in person attendees.

We can provide space for SF based staff in the WMF event space or do a
smaller one in one of the bigger conference rooms at WMF (this actually
works out pretty well). Remote and in person speakers speakers have been
successful in both locations.

The topics can be anything related to your work, your side work, or
wikimedia tech in general. Usually speakers put together a quick slide
show, have a demo ready or have tabs to screen share.

Here is our YouTube channel where among other things you can find many of
our past Tech Talks. https://www.youtube.com/user/watchmediawiki
Tech talks normally get between 5-25 people watching live and as you can
see from the YouTube link above, they get anywhere from 75 to 4,500 more
views over time.

If you don't have anything to present now but have an idea in the future
please feel free to get in touch then. :)

Rachel