[Commons-l] Ogg Theora is too hard to play. We needYouTube-style Flash streaming video.

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Sat Sep 30 08:38:27 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell schreef:

> It's funny...
>
> I added a java (GCJ compatible) audio player on enwiki a while back
> and I've been mostly unable to get people to even comment it (although
> it has been used by tens of thousands)...

Yes, indeed. There is no need to convert the files to other formats or
use flash or so.

For Ogg Vorbis there is;
http://www.jcraft.com/jorbis/

And with that you can play a Ogg Vorbis file without a player at the
client side.

The software is free to download. I can not be very difficult to inclued
this in the wiki so that you have the option to listen to by a webbased
player. A user good in templates can probably do that in in a couple of
minutes. The only thing that really needs to be done is install JOrbis
on the WMF server so that not an external hosted service must be used
for this.

Also for Ogg Theora is there a java-player that can be used;
http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/

--
Contact: walter AT wikipedia.be
Ook een artikeltje schrijven? WikipediaNL, de vrije GNU/FDL encyclopedie