[Commons-l] Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki

arnomane at gmx.de arnomane at gmx.de
Fri Sep 22 21:06:26 UTC 2006

Hi,

We have now started our official call for support regarding the long awaited
CommonsDelinker (-unlinker, -orphaner...).

Many people have agreed on the commons-l that we urgently need a bot for
delinking images in local wikis. Thus we now need to ask the foundation as
this bot necessarily will have to break usual bot rules as it needs to run in
every of the 701 Wikimedia wikis. It is unreasonable to await approval by 701
different Wikimedia wiki communities. They all use Wikimedia Commons and
Wikimedia Commons now needs to efficiently interact with them in return:

That for the administrators of Wikimedia Commons request to be exempt from
local bot policies in order to run this bot.

So I ask all people that are tired of time consuming human delinking in every
wiki and that want to get rid of our copyvio backlog efficiently sign this
call in meta-wiki (we need your support ;-):

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_permissions/CommonsDelinker

Please also contact your local (wikipedia-, wikisource-, wikinews-...)
communities so that they are already prepared and know what it is about.
Communities that are openminded towards that service will take part as soon
as possible at the beta test phase of that bot running at large scale.

If you are interested to know how this bot will work in detail have a look at:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:CommonsDelinker

Cheers, Arnomane