[Commons-l] Models, toys, and other objects can be copyrighted

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed May 24 16:00:35 UTC 2006

Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> Maybe it's time for commons to decide not to concern itself with
> copyright issues when they only impact certain types of commercial
> use, and do not prohibit the uses of such images even in a commercial
> encyclopedia.

No, this is not the purpose of commons.  The purpose of commons is to be
 very restrictive and narrow so that a huge range of people who would
like to feel comfortable reusing our work can do so.  There will of
course be borderline cases, but unlike the other projects, commons
should come down firmly on the side of caution.

Indeed, by doing so, we make all the more clear what is broken about
aspects of current copyright law worldwide.