[Commons-l] An interactive copyright tutorial as a requirementfor uploading?

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 15:10:37 UTC 2006

>*Users can simply try answers until they find the correct one
The software could realise it and... deny him tutorial access for some
hours? set him as can't-upload until an admin verifies him?

>*What if they're not reviewed?
Users on queue without uploading permission should automatically get it if
nobody reviewed him (either accepting or denying) for X days. That would
ensure we *do* allow people. If we fail to get everybody reviewed, we're
like now :-)

>*There's too much work for admins
We're talking of adding a 'can upload' permission. Also add an can review
permission, automatically got after N uploads and no copyright problem.
Admins could always add/remove this permission.

>When users come to Commons, do they set their UI language
I'd like local interwikies to [[commons: ]] have the ?uselang=<projectlang>
appended. This is tecnically available, a simple configuration issue, the
only problem would be breaking the interwikies-are-equal-on-all-wikipedias
system. A second parameter on the software (giving the user/wiki language)
would do too.

>* Takes away from the wiki notion of doing things "quickly".
Agree, but it's easier to upload 2x copyvios than detecting x copyvios. This
would help reducing the difference.

People could log in to the irc and explicity ask someone to verify their
uploads or they could also be checked in the channel. The irc channel is
quite dead.

A problem i see is the correct answer. This is a wiki, everyone should be
able to edit and propose changes, i easily think on discussions about the
accuracy of 'correct answers' but they shouldn't be too easy to find...

Another problem would be people creating new accounts to bypass this limit
system.