[Commons-l] Image donations?

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 08:28:40 UTC 2006

On 6/15/06, Magnus Manske <magnus.manske at web.de> wrote:
> I was wondering if there is some kind of organized effort to ask
> photographers and image agencies for donations (read: GFDL- or
> CC-licensing) of images.

Last year I thought a bit about the idea of having a dedicated "image
fundraising" campaign for Commons, which could perhaps run alongside
the next regular fundraiser. The idea is that there would be a
simplified upload process, and a post-upload vetting system to
determine which material is actually useful. I proposed this to
another Wikimedian, who unfortunately did not end up finding the time
to work on it. Here are a few of the mock-ups I made on paper:

http://scireview.de/wiki/donations1.jpg
http://scireview.de/wiki/donations2.jpg
http://scireview.de/wiki/donations3.jpg

(Sorry for the poor quality, this is done with a camera, not a scanner.)

The idea is, as is hopefully clear, to have a simple two-step process
for uploading and describing the pictures. All the licensing stuff
would be made as simple as possible, with reasonable default choices.
Aside from advertising this online, we could approach some
publications systematically. Given how much Wikipedia is loved by the
media, I think getting a story out there "Wikipedia asks for photo
donations" wouldn't be too hard.

The actual post-upload review would be done in a collaborative review
process similar to my FlickrLickr project. In fact, the FlickrLickr
codebase might be a useful basis for this.

Magnus, are you interested in working on such a project? Anyone else?

Best,
Erik