[Commons-l] An interactive copyright tutorial as a requirement for uploading?

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 00:19:03 UTC 2006

On 6/18/06, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hm, I'm not sure what would stop users just guessing and hitting
> 'back' a lot to get through it. And what questions would we ask? That
> would be the hardest bit. (Well, maybe collecting all the translations
> would be the hardest...)
>
> I had an idea which would hopefully achieve a similar outcome, that we
> could introduce "throttled" or "reviewed" uploads. Once a user uploads
> say, 5 files, an admin has to review the files before they can upload
> any more. If they made any mistakes, they stay on reviewed upload. If
> they didn't make any mistakes with licensing, they can go onto
> unreviewed upload (what we have at the moment).
>
> No idea if it would be even remotely technically feasible, though.

No idea either, but it'd be nice if it could. I really like the idea.
I like the tutorial idea too, it could be implemented if someone fails
the 5 uploads without licence problems. then you'd have to take your
"commons upload license" type thing.

Let's see.

New user uploads up to 5 files
Admin (or any trusted user..ie. with X files uploaded and no
deletion/warnings etc.) reviews the 5 pics and waives the reviewed
status.
New user doesn't pass the test of 5 good licenses.
New user must go through tutorial.
New user gets 5 new uploads.
etc.

Potential problems:
-Some people just download one bad file and go. Lots of people
actually. So this only tackles one part of the problem.
- How do we make sure that files are reviewed within a certain period
of time (ie. do people on Commons have the time to do this?) so that
people don't wait around for ever to get their reviewed satus waived?
- If it can be implemented at all, can it be accessed from local
wikipedias (ie. there are people who can review the stuff better in
their own language and who are not commons users).

Delphine

--
~notafish