[Commons-l] some statistics

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 02:51:27 UTC 2006

I counted these by hand, so there could be mistakes.

[[Category:against policy]] has nearly 1000 items. These are items
that should be speedy deleted as obvious copyright violations.
Literally, these are supposed to be deleted on sight.

[[Category:Unknown - March 2006]] has over 1000 items. These are items
that were tagged as missing source information in March. They should
be speedy deleted after 7 days.

[[Category:Unknown - April 2006]] has around 1400 items.

[[Category:Unknown - May 2006]] has an astounding 2600-2800 items for
deletion. (You know you're in trouble when you count "1000" and the
file names are still at "D")

[[Category:Unknown - June 2006]] has something incredible like over
4000 items for deletion...and it's only June 9th!!!
OK actually all the categories 1 June - 8 June have less than 200
items each, so something weird is going on. I don't know where all
those extra items are coming from. Hm it looks like some are people
misusing the 'Unknown' template and they somehow get added to the
current month. Ah... yes, that is it.

[[Category:Incomplete license]] has about 400 items. (For some, their
7 days might not have expired yet.)

[[Category:Images with no copyright tag]] has about 500 items. I think
this is all Orgullobot's work (only recently had a bot tag all new
uploads with this tag if there's no license tag).

[[Category:Duplicate]] has about 800 items. These are non-essential deletion.

[[Template:Delete] links to some 2000 items (although some of those
are policy pages, for example). But even then I think there must be a
gap between that template and [[Commons:Deletion requests]].

Just at a rough guess, there are probably about 200 items listed on
[[Commons:Deletion requests]]. And these are supposed to be deletions
requiring discussion (and for some reason today I see another 43 (!)
"delete this because there's an SVG" nominations just from one user :/
). These are supposed to be important cases that can set precedents.
How can admins even find these debates let alone take part in them?
This page (the template) is 247kb. No wonder <10 admins (of over 130)
regularly look at it.

I don't think it is an exaggeration to say, it doesn't matter how many
admins we have, or how hard they work, we cannot realistically reduce
this backlog by using the current methods we follow.

On the 8th June less than 250 items were deleted (including categories
and articles, etc). Same on the 7th June.

Is this something we should not worry about?
Or how can we ever solve it? Over 12,000 images waiting to be deleted.

A severely depressed,
Brianna /[[user:pfctdayelise]]