[Commons-l] intelligence in flagging

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Jul 11 17:49:40 UTC 2006

On 7/11/06, Siebrand Mazeland <s.mazeland at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On a more general note: in my opinion an uploader is ALWAYS responsible for
> correct and complete license and source information. It is not a duty for an
> admin to go and get it when either is missing, nor should the Commons admin
> chase al around the Wikimedia landscape to notify an uploader on his home
> wiki(s).
>
> It is the responsibility of admins to ensure no policy violations occur, to
> notify users of possible violations and/or missing information and educate
> users where needed.
>
> Requiring admins to follow each and every link in search for information
> regarding an image is definately not the way to go, in my opinion.

In my opinion the way to go would be to use common sense.  If an image
description says it's a crop of another image, looking at that image
description would be a common sense thing to do.

Of course, if common sense isn't required, and any image without a tag
is immediately deletable without any further checks, then images
shouldn't be allowed to be uploaded without tags in the first place.

Anthony