[Commons-l] COA copyright policies and other legal stuff,..

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 12:37:48 UTC 2006

On 7/9/06, Daniel Kinzler <daniel at brightbyte.de> wrote:
> > Generally we don't concern ourselves with trademark issues, though.
>
> Yes, we do. There's a strong bias against having trademarked logos on
> commons. This resulted from a lengthy discussion on this thread some
> months ago, and word from Jimbo.

My recollection of that (maybe inaccurately) was that that came down
to copyright issues, not trademark?  A photograph or redrawing of a
logo still infringes its copyright, after all.  I don't remember any
of the disputed logos being out of copyright.

I believe I am correct that Commons does not generally concern itself
that the appearance of a trademarked element in a photographed scene
may make a photograph unusable in some (but not all) commercial
contexts, however.

-matt