[Commons-l] COA copyright policies and other legal stuff,..

bastique at bellsouth.net bastique at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 7 15:57:05 UTC 2006

Paddy brings up something very interesting with regard to the newspaper's use.

A coat of arms consists of two different things: the heraldic definition and the graphic representation.  Typically,  where a city has a copyright on its COA, it is only a graphic representation that the city or locality has copyrighted.  A heraldic definition may be artistically interpreted, thereby circumventing the city's copyright on the COA.  The legal definitions vary from country to country.

For instance, in the United States, the graphical representation that most states use as seals are the copyrighted property of the US state in question, and therefore are not considered free.  However, a graphical representation of the seal may be used in its place as the "state seal".

This, of course, will not satisfy a good many of our end users, who will see anything but what the state/city uses, to the exact pixel, as "wrong", thereby eliminating its use at any project that disallows "fair use" images.

It also should be noted that an artistic representation of a COA is copyrightable, and therefore must be released prior to upload.

Cary Bass
"Bastique"