[Commons-l] English Wikipedia needs some help.

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 02:11:21 UTC 2006

> Not true any more though since youtube has clamped down a bit and I've
> run across suggestions of a myspace cleanup although I don't know a
> vast amount about myspace. It remains to be seen what effect these
> actions have on the web community though.

Youtube's efforts seem pretty superficial, although there are rumors
that they are making back-room deals with big media companies which
allow them to avoid getting sued into the dirt yet fail to compensate
any of the actual content creators (since they aren't actually
licensing the works, they are just buying temporary promises not to
sue).

Even if Youtube and all the other Web2.0 darlings did manage to clean
up their acts, we'd still be the only major site committed to Free
(like freedom) content rather than free (as in no cost to look at but
touch at your own peril) content.

(Youtube doesn't ask or allow uploaders to release their work under a
free license. Their upload page doesn't even include a strongly worded
instruction not to upload infringing content, rather they just tell
you that if you upload an infringement and they receive a takedown
notice that they will follow the procedure)