[Commons-l] Editorial use vs commercial exploitation

David Monniaux David.Monniaux at free.fr
Mon Aug 14 21:27:32 UTC 2006

Sherool wrote:

>While such licences are free-ish I don't think they would fall fully
>within the definition of free content (thouh IANAL). Either way they would
>not be compatable with the GFDL licence, since it does not put any
>restrictions on who can use a work or for what purpose, and unless I'm
>mistaken GFDL compatability is the acid test for wether or not something
>is allowed on Commons.

Note that we already have "free" content on the Commons that is, really,
unfree to use in some ways for reasons other than copyright. For
instance, take a free photograph of somebody and use it in an
advertisement; in many countries, you can get sued for abusive use of
that person's image.

Whether content free for educational and informational usage but not for
advertisement should be accepted on commons is a different question from
whether they should be accepted in the projects. My personal point of
view is that the projects should accept such content, for this content
is on a much sounder legal ground than a lot of our "fair use" claims.

-- DM