[Commons-l] Deletion of still-used images

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 22:26:23 UTC 2006

On 8/8/06, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/08/06, Artur Fijałkowski <wiki.warx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I fully agree - every day I'm trying to see all newimages on
> > special:newimages and I try to delete all copyvio-looking images. I
> > know that it's a bit agressive, but I think, that blanking user's
> > upload is the best method of saying ''hi, something is wrong with your
> > images''.

> Er, I hope you write them a note explaining what they're doing wrong?!
> Simply deleting someone's images tells them nothing about what
> mistakes they're making, and therefore does not help them to avoid
> making them in the future.

I subst [[Template:Speedywhat]] on the user's talk page when
speedy-deleting copyvios. I think obvious copyvios and unacceptable
licenses should be deleted on sight, while all non-obvious cases need
to pass through Deletion Requests. As for checking usage, in obvious
copyvio cases, it's a nice thing to do, but IMHO not the admin's
responsibility -- someone will remove the red link soon enough.

Erik