[Commons-l] Deletion of still-used images

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 21:47:57 UTC 2006

"Brianna Laugher" wrote:
> Another easy and obvious way is to get [[User:Orgullobot]] delinking
> for us.....

Returning to the idea of how to delete, and the problem communities have
against  'intruder bots' i propose the following:
Both if deletions are no source/license or at COM:DEL, real deletion will
wait at least 7 days, so a bot would:
-Wait two days as the uploader may read the message on its discussion and
fix it. I have found Orgullobot removing images too early.
-The third day the bot posts a {{WarningCommonsDelete|BadImage}} on the
articles discussion. if someone watches that article, should notice it and
be able to manually fix it. These templates would be per-project translated,
as the CommonsTicker's.
The following templates would be used:
*Image lacks source/license.
*Image has been listed for deletion, see [[...]]
*Superseeded image.
They would at the end explain the bot behaviour if no action is taken.

-Now the community an join to the discussion, change the article, etc.

-The sixth/seventh day the bot removes/replaces the image from the page. The
community can't really complain as it ahs been warned.
-The seventh day the the image is unliked (summary in the corresponding
lang: Image to be deleted, see discussion) and ready to del. :-)

I find it better than CT in the way that it's not the duty of those
"watching the CT " to fix them, than it's of article's users. If they don't
found the warning, they wouldn't also notice vandalism... And the bot is at
last setting the 'presumed good action'.

I'm sure Orgullomoore, Duesentrieb, and a few others would kindly do it. I
include myself in the list :-) But before doing a bot, do we want it? Some
points to dicuss:
*What to do with copyvios? What should be the bot action?
*Should the bot check on the discussion for a template parameter to 'avoid
bot action'? (i.e. the community wants to keep the image even when it's
going to be deleted :S)
*What should do the bot if it doesn't find the image? (e.g. the image is
generated through template syntax).
*The bot probably may need a 'suggested replacement' template. If it's said
on COM:DEL can't figure.
*Add a user syntax to 'undo image x removal' ?
*Should it be an opt-in bot, like the CommonsTicket, or should we run it for
everywiki from start? Beta testing on a project-only will be needed, but i'd
vote for the second. There's no much need to be done logged in, as there
will be a text warning so ips could do it. Do as a user preferred, though.
*Should the bot remove the warning template when the job is done?
  Pros: -There's no a increasing warning list with nobody reading
           -If users discuss it and want it to stay, can set a template
parameter, so the bot doesn't remove it.

  Couns: -It hides the discussion message we wanted to add.

Any more steps suggested? Comments? Merciless critiques?