[Commons-l] Deletion of still-used images

Patrick-Emil Zörner paddyez at yahoo.de
Tue Aug 8 07:28:42 UTC 2006

--- Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> schrieb:

> On 08/08/06, Artur Fija³kowski <wiki.warx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I fully agree - every day I'm trying to see all newimages on
> > special:newimages and I try to delete all copyvio-looking images.
> > know that it's a bit agressive, but I think, that blanking user's
> > upload is the best method of saying ''hi, something is wrong with
> your
> > images''.
>
> Er, I hope you write them a note explaining what they're doing
> wrong?!
> Simply deleting someone's images tells them nothing about what
> mistakes they're making, and therefore does not help them to avoid
> making them in the future.

Tell people twice? There is a big fat notice telling you what to do
when you upload an image. The consequences are known (BTW red and even
fat letters):

"If you do not provide suitable license and source information, your
file will be deleted without further notice. Thanks for your
understanding."

in czech in a big fat red box:

"UPOZORN&#282;NÍ: Pokud pravdiv&#283; neuvedete licenci a p&#345;esné
informace o zdroji, váš soubor bude bez dalšího varování smazán.
D&#283;kujeme za pochopení."

in german again red and even fat letters:

"Dateien mit unpassenden oder ohne ausreichende Lizenzinformationen
werden ohne weitere Nachfrage gelöscht."

Any language I missed? At what point do people not understand? Maybe I
should explain "your file will be deleted without further notice" to
all people again? Sorry there is no way anyone can tell me that they
did not see the big notice because I was there in the beginning of WM
Commons and tried (together with Bdka who put the biggest efford into
the matter) to make sure that nobody could tell us that there is no
way of understanding which files are apt for commons and which are
not.

Those files must be deleted! Period. You may talk to the people after
the deletion. The administrators of WM-Commons and especially Bdka
(many thanks to him) have done everything in the past to make sure the
terms and conditions of WM-Commons are clear in any language and to
the stupidest person possible (worst case). No way we have to tell
them again. We can I we want to but we do not have to.

greetings

Paddy