[Commons-l] Deletion of still-used images

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 04:06:07 UTC 2006

On 08/08/06, Raimond Spekking <raimond.spekking at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with you but with one exemption: the deletion of copyvios. In my
> opinion we have to delete them as far as possible to show all others
> that we do not accept copyvios. Redlinks are more acceptable than copyvios.

Well, how do you define a copyvio? Almost everything that we delete
has, in the end, been decided to be a copyvio or a suspect copyright
violation. That is after all why we delete no-source/no-license
images. That is why we delete screenshots and derivative works and
photos of public art in certain parts of the world, and images once
believed to be free but found out to be actually not. Because we
suspect or believe they infringe someone's copyright. So, this is
rather where we are right now, rather than a new position.

> In case of any complains by original authors we can say "sorry for the
> violation, but we do our very best to fight against copyvios, every day."

Hm, that's a good point, at least morally. I don't know if it holds
any legal weight.

I also don't know how many, if any, serious legal problems the WMF
ever has with regards to images. But that's why my second escape
clause was for "OFFICE" style actions, where Jimbo et al intervene due
to avoid imminent legal action and the like.

> An idea *poke Düsentrieb*: Is it possible to show at CheckUsage if the
> project has a CommonsTicker? This can reduce the work to en: and smaller
> wikis.

I think that's a great idea!

Brianna