[Commons-l] Deletion of still-used images

Artur Fijałkowski wiki.warx at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 17:58:54 UTC 2006

2006/8/7, Raimond Spekking <raimond.spekking at gmail.com>:

> Brianna Laugher schrieb:
> > * it will probably increase the deletion backlog. After a period of
> > frustration with the unwinnable War on Copyvios, I've come to a
> > Zen-like acceptance that Commons, like all wikis, will always be a
> > work in progress, will never be a clean professional database -
> > because it's an ad-hoc arrangement run by volunteers. There will
> > probably always be thousands of images awaiting deletion.  So in the
> > long run, whether we delete copyvios today or tomorrow probably
> > doesn't matter. Deleting them tomorrow (that is, with no urgency) has
> > the added bonus of pissing off fewer people. I like it.
>
> I agree with you but with one exemption: the deletion of copyvios. In my
> opinion we have to delete them as far as possible to show all others
> that we do not accept copyvios. Redlinks are more acceptable than copyvios.
>
> In case of any complains by original authors we can say "sorry for the
> violation, but we do our very best to fight against copyvios, every day."
>
> What should they think if we answer "yes you are right but see, our
> other clients (=projects) need more time"? It is not important to him.
> Every day we delete a copyvio earlier the risk of complains is smaller.
>
> I know, the fight against copyvios is endless, but if we wait now for
> tomorrow or later, we will cumulate again. Is this in mind of the
> Foundation? Don't think so.
>
> I was so happy as the restore-feature for images was introtuced, now I
> feel good when deleting copyvios.
>
> The very few complains over deleted images that are really no copyvios
> was handled fast I think.
>

> In all other cases I agree with you. We have to serve all other projects
> very carefully.
>
> An idea *poke Düsentrieb*: Is it possible to show at CheckUsage if the
> project has a CommonsTicker? This can reduce the work to en: and smaller
> wikis.

I fully agree - every day I'm trying to see all newimages on
special:newimages and I try to delete all copyvio-looking images. I
know that it's a bit agressive, but I think, that blanking user's
upload is the best method of saying ''hi, something is wrong with your
images''. Vandals and people that are not interested in any
cooperation will not proove the source, etc., but wise people will ask
where is the problem :). Leaving copyvios for months not-deleted
because of rules is very risky :)

AJF/WarX