[Commons-l] Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: Images on user pages

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Sep 17 03:27:16 UTC 2005

I am cc'ing this to commons-l, since this discussion belongs there anyway.

Laura Scudder wrote:
> For instance, for the Netscape icon
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Nuvola_apps_netscape.png we
> apparently can only use it in limited cases and are supposed to
> include the text:
>
> "Netscape, Netscape Certificater Server, Netscape FastTrack Server,
> Netscape Navigator, Netscape ONE, SuiteSpot, and the Netscape N and
> Ship's Wheel logos are registered trademarks of Netscape
> Communications Corporation in the United States and other countries.
> [List other Netscape product names used in your document] are also
> trademarks of Netscape Communications Corporation, which may be
> registered in other countries." (from
> http://wp.netscape.com/legal_notices/trademarks.html)
>
> So it would seem to me that we shouldn't have the trademarked images
> that we can only use in limited cases anyways.
>

> Laurascudder

Yes, delete it.  Stuff like this should be speedy deleted from commons,
I think.  Commons should tend very strongly towards purity, not
comprehensiveness.  There can be strong editorial reasons for including
such things in the encyclopedia itself, and "fair use" makes an
appearance there, but in commons, we should tend towards purity.  Strongly.

--Jimbo