[Commons-l] Trademarks

David Benbennick dbenbenn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:46:54 UTC 2005

> The core goal of Commons is maximal reuse.

Actually, that's incorrect.  Lots of previous discussions have used
arguments similar to the following: Suppose, for example, that Saudi
Arabia bans photographs of nude people.  "Maximal reuse" would require
us to then delete the contents of [[Category:Nudity]].  The decision
has been to simply *ignore* that kind of issue, because the
alternative would mean our content is held hostage to every individual
country's idea of morality.

Personally, I believe we can keep trademark images that are under a
free license, for example [[Image:Gnomelogo.png]], though I suspect
there are not many examples of such images anyway.