[Commons-l] National Flags and Languages

Karl Eichwalder ke at gnu.franken.de
Fri May 20 17:58:46 UTC 2005

Please, stop using national flags for denoting human languages.  Both
entities do not match.  Using flag is discriminating minorities - it is
not appropriate to discriminate someone even if this would actually
improve accessibility.

These misleading flags are that small that I often must look twice to
recognize them; and if recognized, it isn't even sure that I know what
they mean!  I don't watch TV and that's probably why I'm not familiar
with all these modern flags.

Instead of flags use a cobination of language code (ISO) and the native
name:

de - Deutsch
en - English
es - Español
ja - 日本語
etc.

For reference see
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Templates_for_galleries (where
you must change the templates) and
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump .  As long as
this feature is under discussion we should stay away from announcing
it; at least, for the time being we must make it as neutral as possible:
Display {{german}} as <nowiki>{{german}}</nowiki> .

It is important for me to get this issue right.

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                           |      ,__o
                                                        |    _-\_<,
                                                        |   (*)/'(*)
Key fingerprint = F138 B28F B7ED E0AC 1AB4  AA7F C90A 35C3 E9D0 5D1C