[Announce-l] EN Wikizine - number: 47

Wikizine info at wikizine.org
Tue Oct 24 10:16:25 UTC 2006

 __    __ _ _    _     _
/ / /\ \ (_) | _(_)___(_)_ __   ___
\ \/  \/ / | |/ / |_  / | '_ \ / _ \
 \  /\  /| |   <| |/ /| | | | |  __/
  \/  \/ |_|_|\_\_/___|_|_| |_|\___|
                                    .org

Year: 2006  Week: 43   Number: 47

An independent internal news bulletin
for the members of the Wikimedia community

//////////////////////////////////////////

=== Technical news ===

[Block Opera users] - It appears that some bot is posting the question on wikis
and forums that the can not see images when using the browser Opera.
http://wikiangela.com/blog/wiki-spammers-have-trouble-viewing-images-in-opera/

=== Foundation ===

[Portal] - Wikimédia France has installed a portal at www.wikitheque.fr. This
portal provides task-oriented directions for finding images and text content on
Commons and Wikisource, with the help of Wikipedia.
http://www.wikitheque.fr/
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-October/011101.html

=== Community ===

[LSS] - the project started by meta:user:Improv of creating summaries of the
postings to the mailing list Foundation-l is still alive. It is even growing.
The list summaries are also a year disposal in Frensh and Spanish.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/LSS

[Report] from the Portuguese Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2006-10-09/Interwiki_report

=== Media ===

[Schools] - it is suggested that the visitor traffic to the English language
Wikipedia is connected with students in the USA. At least one editor of a high
school newspaper is very enthusiastic about Wikipedia
http://weblogs.hitwise.com/leeann-prescott/2006/10/wikipedia_and_academic_researc.html
http://silverchips.mbhs.edu/inside.php?sid=6806

=== Stats ===

[Conlang] - The total number of articles in planned language (or "conlang")
Wikipedias and net encyclopedias has passed 80,000. There are at present 7
active Wikipedias on the main list: Esperanto, Ido, Interlingua, Novial,
Volapük, Lojban and Interlingue]], with 79,665 articles. In addition, the Meta
page notes the Wiki lexicon of Lingua Franca Nova with 573 articles, and the
two former Wikipedias of Toki Pona and Klingon, with 301 articles. This gives a
total of 80,539, slightly below 1.5% of all Wikipedia articles. The 7 active
Wikipedias have 3,445 registered users.

The largest is the Esperanto language Wikipedia; the have reached 60,000
articles.
http://eo.wikipedia.org

=== Other news ===

[Wikipedia 0101] - Librarian John Hubbard has created an extended Flash
presentation about what Wikipedia is, or at least the English language
Wikipedia, how it works and topics.  Very nicely done. You need Flash 8 or
above to make it work. For Linux there is a link to Flash 9 Beta, very easy to
install. Read the read-me.
http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/courses/wiki/

=== Was ist das? ===

IMHO: In My Humble/Honest Opinion
IMO: In My Opinion
IMNSHO: In My Not So Humble Opinion.
IANAL: I Am Not A Lawyer

=== IRC Quote ===

<by> Is there anyway I can tell the world I'm an idiot?
<Seven7> Of course, just type your name, where you live and your confession
<by> Kk
<by> I am Mark Duval of Belgium, and I am an idiot
<by> ?
<by> Now what?
<Seven7> Don't worry. It's done

//////////////////////////////////////////
Number of subscribers: 536
Unique Visitors website this week: 314
Editor(s): Walter
Corrector(s): Gary Kirk
Contains text from: David Monniaux
E-mail: ihavenews AT wikizine DOT org

Wikizine.org makes no guarantee of accuracy,
validity and especially but not limited to,
correct grammar and spelling.
Wikizine.org is not a publication of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Content is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.
Publisher:[[meta:user:Walter]]