[Announce-l] Wikizine - number: 0

Wikizine announce-l-owner at Wikipedia.org
Mon Nov 14 13:01:14 UTC 2005

***************************************
 __    __ _ _    _     _
/ / /\ \ (_) | _(_)___(_)_ __   ___
\ \/  \/ / | |/ / |_  / | '_ \ / _ \
 \  /\  /| |   <| |/ /| | | | |  __/
  \/  \/ |_|_|\_\_/___|_|_| |_|\___|

Year: 2005  Week:46  Number: 0

***************************************

An internal news bulletin for the
members of the Wikimedia community.

///////////////////////////////////////

=== Technical news ===

The [Search] function now require all given terms to match by default.
You can use options like;
* stuff AND (foo OR bar)
* stuff "foo bar"
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/20327

=== Policy ===

-[CheckUser] The policy for CheckUser has gone live this week.
A quote from the policy: "The tool is to be used to fight vandalism or
check abuse of sockpuppets,
for example when there is a suspicion of illegal voting.
It must be used only to prevent damage to one or several of Wikimedia
projects."
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CheckUser_Policy

=== Politics ===

-[Access Denied!] after China blocking Wikipedia, next the Kurdish
Wikipedia is now blocked in Iran.
The other versions are not (yet) blocked.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.misc/25494
http://ku.wikipedia.org/

=== Stats ===

-Erim Zachte has released the new stats, based on the SQL-dumpfiles of
Saturday, November 5 2005.
The do not contain visitors stats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wikistats/EN/Sitemap.htm

- [Wiktionary] has 100,000 articles in English.
http://en.wiktionary.org

=== Other news ===

-[Physical Wiki] Semapedia.org provides a service to create tags to be put
on objects
in the real world. With those tags and a cellphone you can request the
relevant article.
http://www.semapedia.org/

=== Quote ====

"[Wikipedia is] like a sausage: you might like the taste of it,
but you don't necessarily want to see how it's made"
- "Who knows?", The Guardian, Tuesday, October 26, 2004

=== Editorial comment ===

So, that is it. Number 0. The experiment is over. The feedback about
Wikizine was limited but enough.
I can now confirm that there will be Wikizine next week. I will try to
make some publicity about Wikizine.
Now everbody may know about it. The first issue of Wikizine, number -5, is
sent to about 40 listmembers.
We now have about 55 members. What it will be for number 1 I will tell you
next week. Bye!

Editor: [[w:nl:gebruiker:Walter]]

Disclaimer: this message is not an
official publication of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Wikizine makes no guarantee of validity.