[Advocacy Advisors] Letter on digital security

Yana Welinder yana at wikimedia.org
Wed May 20 16:16:54 UTC 2015

Hi Jürgen,

We were not listed as "civil society" because that group usually refers to
organizations that primarily do advocacy work. Instead, we signed as a
"company," which would include both for-profit and non-profit companies,
though the only other signatories happen to be for-profit companies. The
small number of non-profits in this category is really a testament to that we
don't have enough public parks online
<http://suegardner.org/2013/06/26/the-war-for-the-free-and-open-internet-and-how-we-are-losing-it/>
.

I should mention that when we signed, we didn't know that "trade
associations" would be grouped with "companies," which is unusual. But it
still is the most appropriate group for WMF.

Thanks,
Yana

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Juergen Fenn <jfenn at gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 19.05.2015 um 21:51 schrieb Stephen LaPorte <slaporte at wikimedia.org>:
>
> > I wanted to let you know that the Wikimedia Foundation joined a letter
> to President Obama, asking him to reject legislation that would force
> companies to deliberately weaken the security of their products. The letter
> was organized thanks to TechFreedom, with a wide variety of co-signers with
> a stake in digital security. Strong encryption and security are fundamental
> for our work online, so this letter is worth supporting to ensure that
> users can read and speak freely on our projects.
> >
> > The full letter is available online:
> http://docs.techfreedom.org/Encryption_Letter_to_Obama.pdf
>
> Why is it that the WMF in this document is mentioned among "companies and
> trade associations" and not among the non-profit "civic society
> organisations"?
>
> Thx!
>
> Regards,
> Jürgen.

Yana Welinder
Senior Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6867
@yanatweets <https://twitter.com/yanatweets>

NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake.

As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical reasons I
cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community members,
volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. In other words,
IANYL <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IANAL>. For more on what this means,
please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.