[Advocacy Advisors] Your Public Policy Schedule for Wikimania

Yana Welinder yana at wikimedia.org
Mon Jul 13 12:02:23 UTC 2015

Thanks for putting together this, Dimi. There will be many regional and
global policy groups represented at Wikimania this year, so this schedule
of the different policy events will be very helpful.

Minor modification to the list of events: the featured panel
<https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania> on Latin America
Internet Freedoms
<https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Latin_America_Internet_Freedoms_Panel>
with
Katitza, Paz, et al. will be at 16:30 on Friday (not Sunday).

Thanks,
Yana

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 6:46 AM, L.Gelauff <lgelauff at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dimi,
>
> I think you got the date wrong for the comeback day, isn't it Thursday
> 16th?
>
> Best,
> Lodewijk
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Stevie Benton <
> stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dimi,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing this. There's lots going on!
>>
>> Unfortunately I won't be at Wikimania but is there going to be a central
>> place where resources will be collated so I can take a look afterwards?
>>
>> Thank you, hope you all have a great time!
>>
>> Stevie
>>

>> On 13 July 2015 at 10:56, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <
>> dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone!
>>>
>>> My social media timelines are overflowing with posts about packing,
>>> flying and eating tacos and cats in suitcases, which can only mean
>>> Wikimania is just around the corner.
>>>
>>> As last year, we have a pretty generous amount of public policy events
>>> set up. Here are some (but not all) of them. Conveniently ordered
>>>

>>>    - Wikimedia Conference Follow-Up Day
>>>    <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMCON_Follow-Up_Day>,
>>>    Wednesday, July 15, 13:00hrs, Conference venue
>>>    Inform people about the movement goals we want to set, get the
>>>    conversation going and people thinking so they have some time to reflect
>>>    ahead of the talks.
>>>

>>>    - The Twilight of EU Copyright Reform, or, How to reform with a
>>>    hammer,
>>>    <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/The_Twilight_of_EU_Copyright_Reform,_or,_How_to_reform_with_a_hammer>
>>>    Friday, July 17, 15:00hrs
>>>    Once again we're looking at how crowd-sourced advocacy works, but
>>>    this time expect concrete examples of what Wikimedia did in Europe to try
>>>    and influence the copyright reform to include text that supports free
>>>    knowledge. You will see legislative texts proposed and by us and also get
>>>    an explanation why certain parts didn't make it to the final version. We'll
>>>    also discuss the question of how an international public policy structure
>>>    should look like.
>>>

>>>    - #npbmex <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/npbmex>, Friday
>>>    July 17, 20:00, Gathering at the lobby of the One Almeda Hotel (Av.
>>>    Juárez 88)
>>>    - Informal and social meet-up of all people interested in net
>>>    politics (copyright, network infrastructure, data protection, telecoms
>>>    regulation, etc.). Will mingle Wikimaniacs with local net activists.
>>>

>>>    - Public Policy Meetup
>>>    <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Public_Policy_meet-up>,
>>>    Saturday, July 18, 10:30, Conference venue (Chapters' village)
>>>    Wikimedians interested in public policy are invited to get to know
>>>    each other, discuss the issues, plans and solutions at Wikimania.
>>>

>>>    - Amplify Free Knowledge with Public Policy
> [...]

Yana Welinder
Legal Director
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6867
@yanatweets <https://twitter.com/yanatweets>

NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake.

As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical reasons I
cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community members,
volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. In other words,
IANYL <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IANAL>. For more on what this means,
please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.