[Advocacy Advisors] Congrats to Yana!

Geoff Brigham gbrigham at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 7 23:23:36 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your engagement on this list and your hard work on a
host of issues. I probably follow this list the closest, and really respect
your insights and judgment as we navigate through a number of tricky or
tough issues.

If I may, I have some good news to report from WMF. Yana Welinder
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:YWelinder_(WMF)> on the legal
team has just been named as a 2015-2016 affiliate scholar/researcher for
Harvard University’s Berkman Center for Internet & Society
<https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/>. (Yana is also a Fellow
<http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/about/people/yana-welinder> with the Stanford
Center for Internet & Society <http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/>.)

As a Berkman Center Affiliate, Yana will have the opportunity to further
engage with the Internet law and policy community and continue her research
on issues that support Wikimedia movement values. Yana’s previous work in
this space has included a research paper
<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2476779> highlighting
Wikimedia’s trademark policy process (co-written with her legal
colleague Stephen
LaPorte <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Slaporte_(WMF)>) and
CollabMark <http://collabmark.org/index.html>, an open source guide to
trademark policies (also co-created by Stephen).

Congrats to Yana, and thanks again to all those on this list for your hard
work and dedication to issues of shared interest.

Geoff

--
Geoff Brigham
General Counsel
gbrigham at wikimedia.org

*California Registered In-House Counsel*

*Notice:  This message may be confidential or legally privileged.  If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake.  As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and
ethical reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
community members, volunteers, or Board and staff members in their personal
capacity.  For more on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*