[Advocacy Advisors] Mozilla Advocacy in Brussels

Dave Steer daves at mozillafoundation.org
Wed Apr 22 16:06:59 UTC 2015

Hi all -

I recently joined the list. Since it's my first time emailing, I wanted to
introduce myself -- I'm Dave Steer. I work on Policy & Advocacy at Mozilla.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about our experience with Discourse.
We're just getting started with the platform, so we are experimenting with
different types of conversation to see what helps the policy & advocacy
community the most.

Our initial idea is to use Discourse in two ways: first, for people who
applied to the Ford-Mozilla Open Web Fellows program to engage with NGOs on
specific job and volunteer opportunities. We saw so many qualified people
with tech skills that want to participate in policy during the application
process and, with Discourse, we want to keep them engaged especially as
many NGOs are looking for people with engineering backgrounds to advance
their campaigns.

We're also organizing by issue area. Our hypothesis is that email
distribution lists are good, but threaded online discussions can be
additive with more ongoing, nuanced discussions and organizing.

Experience so far backs up everything that Bekka pointed out. Again, we're
in the early stages (please join the conversation!) and happy to report out
on what we're learning along the way.

--Dave
_________
Dave Steer
Director, Advocacy
Mozilla Foundation

Email: davesteer at mozillafoundation.org
Cell: 415-845-5110
Twitter: @davesteer and @MozillaAdvocacy
www.mozilla.org/advocacy

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:03 AM, Rebecca Kahn <bekka at p2pu.org> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> We've been using Discourse for a while at P2PU
> <http://community.p2pu.org/>, in various deployments ( discussion space
> for online courses, as a replacement for mailing lists) and have found
> several things:
>
>    - It's kind of like the Linux of community management. It takes some
>    work to install and set up properly, and needs a degree of ongoing
>    gardening-care.
>    - It is a slow-burn community building tool because there is quite a
>    high bar to entry and initial engagement (you have to earn a degree of
>    trust permissions in order to participate)
>    - On the plus side (and this is a big plus) it's great at filtering
>    out bad stuff.
>    - However, it's also hard to surface good stuff.
>    - Overall, it's fantastic for smaller, highly engaged conversations,
>    and it actively discourages shallow, large scale conversations
>
> If anyone has any more questions about Discourse as a community management
> tool, let me know, I'm busy writing a report on our deployment of it for a
> P2PU / Mozilla OER project and am happy to try and answer any questions...
>
> Bekka
>

> On 22 April 2015 at 09:53, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <
> dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> @Luis
>>
>> I would be happy to try this platform and perhaps this group can be one
>> of the first use cases. The current issue I see with this mailing list is
>> that is makes it very hard for newcomers to catch up. The issue I have with
>> Meta is that it doesn't really appeal to non-wiki/non-techie crowds.
>>
>> Dimi

>>> I'm curious to hear what people think of the use of Discourse (
>>> http://www.discourse.org/) in this use case; I've been keeping an eye
>>> on that project for a long time and think it might be interesting for some
>>> of our discussion forums once their support for email <-> forum bridges
>>> matures.
>>>
>>> Luis

>>> --
>>> Luis Villa
>>> Sr. Director of Community Engagement
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>> *Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely
>>> share in the sum of all knowledge.*

_________
Dave Steer
Director, Advocacy