[Advocacy Advisors] Questions to Commissioners-Designate

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 10:10:53 UTC 2014

Hi all,

next week the the hearings of the new Commissioners-Designate of the new
European Commission will start in the European Parliament.

The most relevant hearings for us will be:

Günther Öttinger, German Commissioner-Deisgnate for Digital Economy and
Society [1]
ITRE/CULT Committees Hearing - Monday, 29 September, 18:30-21:30

Andrus Ansip, Estonaian Commissioner-Designate and VP of the
Commission-Designate for the Digital Single Market [2]
IMCO Committee Hearing - Monday, 6 October, 18:30-21:30

We could propose a MEP sitting in these committees to ask a question that
might give us a clue who we will be dealing with over the next 5 years.
After long consideration and many talks, I will pitch the following: "What
is your position on the implementation of the Marakech Treaty (Treaty for
the Blind)?".
This covers two things important for us- their position on international
agreements dealing with IP and their position on new exceptions&limitations
to copyright. At the same time it is not provocative as it is something on
the agenda anyway and doesn't ask the questions directly. We're more likely
to get the question asked to Oettinger, which is a good thing, as we
already know Anisp's position on international agreements (extremely
pro-ACTA).

Furthermore, Julia Reda, German MEP for the Pirate Party sitting the Green
Group, has created a website that let's people directly ask questions to
the Commissioners-Designate. [3] From what I've heard, Mr. Ansip might be
willing to answer all of them in an "online hearing" at a later stage.

Cheers,
Dimi

[1]http://ec.europa.eu/about/juncker-commission/docs/oettinger_en.pdf
[2]http://ec.europa.eu/about/juncker-commission/docs/ansip_en.pdf