[Advocacy Advisors] Wikipedia Zero specifically excepted from ban of zero-rating services in Chile

Jens Best jens.best at wikimedia.de
Tue Sep 23 03:15:44 UTC 2014

“Wikipedia Zero, as structured, does not pose harm to the open internet. It
promotes free speech and innovation, which are the two underlying purposes
of net neutrality.“ = desperate PR-speak. More Orwell entering some fields
of work of the foundation.

Ignoring bad factual consequences of inconsiderately introduced projects
seems to be a strong quality in some areas of the foundation.

So, therefore, it has too be said again: Wikipedia Zero is used by mobile
providers and its lobbyists to establish an unequal usage of different
data, in consequence getting people used to violate net neutrality on a
regular base.

Even if the foundation now found a so called net neutrality advocate which
is willing to trade the principle for whatever reason, the global gathering
(IGF) in Istanbul showed that NGO representatives from USA, Europe and the
“Global South“ are strongly worried about the fact that Wikipedia Zero is a
breaker of the net neutrality principle (and some foundation
representatives strictly ignoring that fact).
Member of a “Global South“ initiative called Wikipedia Zero and the way it
brings “the internet“ to the poor plainly patronizing. They put Wikipedia
in the same category with Facebook and other US-american Websites which
hide their marketing tricks behind nice PR-wordings.

The foundation strongly needs to rethink its strategy pushing a project
that globally counteracts the actions for protecting net neutrality in a
very critical time instead of increasing its dangerous activities in this
field. Wikipedia Zero is a clear violation of net neutrality whatever deal
the foundation is making with single governments. A global principle can't
be changed by one department of one ministry of one country.

The possible alternative: A general channel for all public sphere content
would be something totally different, because it would be implemented by
laws and multi-stakeholder-agreements around the world and not be based on
individual deals. All content which would by these rules then seen as “free
knowledge or free education“ would be part of these public sphere without
the need to deal with every mobile providers.

No mobile provider will ever allow zero-rated free knowledge Video content
when they not forced by an internationally agreed understanding and
consequent laws establishing a truly free digital public sphere.

Nowadays deals can be made by a well-staffed organization like the
foundation, but surely not by many other producers of free knowledge
material.
Therefore the recent activities of the foundation are going in the wrong
direction. Obviously covering mistakes made in the past with new mistakes
is having higher priorities than really finding a better way to ensure free
knowledge and respecting basic rules of a free and open web the same time.

Jens