[Advocacy Advisors] Proposed law in Spain

Yana Welinder ywelinder at wikimedia.org
Tue May 13 22:55:47 UTC 2014

Hi all,

There is a proposed copyright amendment in Spain that a reporter just
flagged to us and which may be of interest to this group.[1] The proposed
law would empower IP collection societies to collect compensation on behalf
of authors from "electronic service providers that aggregate content" when
they re-use "non-significant fragments of content" from other sites. The
law does not define "electronic service providers that aggregate content"
for the purpose of this provision.[2]

The language that is currently proposed does not allow authors to waive
their right to compensation. Local scholars argue that this provision will
allow the IP collection societies to collect compensation even for authors
who chose to CC license their content.[3]

Best,
Yana

[1]
http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/2014/02/27/spain-google-tax-threatens-news-aggregators-sinde-law/
[2]
http://derechoynormas.blogspot.com.es/2014/02/derecho-por-agregacion-de-contenidos-en.html

[3]
http://www.uoc.edu/portal/es/sala-de-premsa/actualitat/noticies/2014/noticia_051/ley_propiedad_intelectual.html

--
Yana Welinder
Legal Counsel

NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal
disclaimer<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>
.