[Advocacy Advisors] RfC on Position Paper on EU Copyright Reform

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 16:21:22 UTC 2014

Hi all,

the European Commission has postponed the white paper on copyright, but has
released the review of the consultation answers today. [1]

We had originally planned to bring out a position paper as a response to
the white paper. Due to latest events (it was postponed and there are
competing positions within the Commission) we now think it might be best to
make ourselves heard ahead of its publishing, so the Commission has a
chance to incorporate our concerns in it.

Therefore we would like to request your comments and edits on a draft
position paper we would like the Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU and all
interested chapters/organisations/individuals to sign. It can be found on
Meta-Wiki:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/EU_policy/Position_Paper_on_EU_Copyright

The basic idea is to support those within the institutions who are
defending positions in line with our goals of EU-wide Freedom of Panorama
and public domain for government works. We also want to make sure there is
no talk about copyright term extensions.

In light of latest developments here in Brussels, we would like to wrap
this up during Wikimania in London. We would therefore ideally aim to have
all comments and edits by the 29th of July, so we can ask the chapter
boards to approve and sign it.

Let me know if you're unhappy about the process or have any other
questions.

Cheers,
Dimi

[1]