[Advocacy Advisors] Study request - OHIM

Yana Welinder ywelinder at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 26 23:48:21 UTC 2014

Hi Dimi,

Stephen and I wrote a guest post for EFF about the importance of the public
domain for Wikipedia last month:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/01/wikipedia-shows-value-vibrant-public-domain

You may want to reuse some of that discussion to expand on the section on
the social value of the public domain and open licenses. I think that
concrete examples would help make that section more persuasive.

Best,
Yana

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <
dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, everybody!
>
> As reported previously [1], the OHIM (IP Observatory)[2] has picked up our
> request to commission a study on the benefits of public domain and open
> licenses. To get the process going we need to present a one-pager with our
> main ideas. This document has been worked out together with EDRi [3] and
> BEUC [4], as they will also request the same study in order to have more
> leverage. We have kept this intentionally broad at some points, as the OHIM
> needs to make a first step in specifying the exact form and methodology.
>
> I am sharing this with you now and asking for feedback and comments until
> the middle of next week. Please bear in mind, that this is really just a
> first pitch and the form of the study will be agreed upon in the months to
> come.
>
> Thank you!
> Dimi
>
> [1]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2013-December/129015.html
> [2]https://oami.europa.eu/ohimportal/en/web/observatory/home
> [3]http://edri.org/
> [4]http://beuc.org/

Yana Welinder
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6867

NOTICE: For legal reasons, I may only serve as a lawyer for the Wikimedia
Foundation. This means I may not give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer
for, community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal
capacity.