[Advocacy Advisors] clarifying things for other advocacy groups

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 21:54:47 UTC 2014

P.S. Luis, my question relates to the scope of this list:

"Other interests include privacy, innovation policy, and internet
governance issues, especially when any of these directly threaten the
core Wikimedian goals of building and sharing free knowledge"

The direct threats to core Wikimedian goals come from externalities in
addition to the policies you've identified. I would add social safety
net spending, education spending, class size reduction, middle class
growth, and global warming mitigation. I have no idea whether it is
easier for the Foundation to adopt policies on telecommuting or
renewable power purchase, but these are things which have in the fact
been issues of considerable interest and progress in the past. I have
no reason to believe that they will not remain so in the future, do I?

For 2014, negative interest on excess reserves could be the factor
most determinate of editor and administrator retention outcomes when
weighted by the extent to which Wikimedians have effective influence
at present. I have in the past tried to enumerate a longer such list
at http://j.mp/amendmentact
which still needs to be updated for this year and I would gladly enjoy comments.

Best regards,
James Salsman