[Advocacy Advisors] [Wikimediauk-l] EU copyright consultation deadline has beenextended

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 12 20:27:22 UTC 2014

To be clear, when I said "I agree" I meant that I agree that it is the
wrong tool. So Amgine and I agree (not sure about Aktron, but I think he
also agrees).

I could see a time when using sitenotice for copyright advocacy could be
appropriate - but it would have to be a very specific, targeted issue,
where timely action by a large number of people could make a very large
impact. This clearly is not that sort of thing.

Luis

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Amgine <amgine at wikimedians.ca> wrote:

> I don't agree with using the SiteNotice. Over-use of this tool is
> encouraging people to ignore it, and to block it. The practice of the WMF
> to arbitrarily clear user preferences to close central notice pisses people
> off.
>
> IMO central notice should only be used in a life-or-death situation. This
> isn't it.
>
> Amgine
>

> On 12 Feb 2014, at 9:56, Luis Villa <lvilla at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 4:11 AM, <aktron at centrum.cz> wrote:
> > Luis,
> >
> > Some of the people (outside of WM community) suggested that it might be
> a good idea to promote this via SiteNotidce. But I think it is quite a
> brutal tool.
> >
> > I agree. Does anyone else have other suggestions?
> >

> > Btw.: What do you mean by "load into"? I mean, I already did the Czech
> translation for copywrongs and I know the youcan.fixcopyright.eu but a
> question remains ... what is the thing you wanted to do by "loading"?
> >
> > I meant "whatever it takes to get the content into the tool" - don't
> know if it is in git, in a wiki, maintained by hand, etc. Presumably
> someone has to do some work to make the answers appear on the site :)
> >
> > Luis
> >
> > Jan

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*