[Advocacy Advisors] Copyright for government works

Stephen LaPorte slaporte at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 11 17:27:51 UTC 2014

Hello Mathais,

I see this discussion on Meta:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Support_for_US_copyright_amendment_(edicts)

Do you know if there are any other discussions about edicts of governments
on wiki?

I was glad that Carl's testimony happened during Copyright Week in January (
https://www.eff.org/copyrightweek). Thanks for sharing!

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Mathias Schindler <
mathias.schindler at wikimedia.de> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'd like you to take a few moments to have a look at
> https://public.resource.org/edicts/ and the discussion about whether
> copyright protection should be awarded to government works. The
> wording suggested on this page calls for the amendment of the US
> copyright code:
>
> "Edicts of government, such as judicial opinions, administrative
> rulings, legislative enactments, public ordinances, and similar
> official legal documents are not copyrightable for reasons of public
> policy. This applies to such works whether they are Federal, State, or
> local as well as to those of foreign governments."
>
> This definition is narrower than the wording regarding *federal*
> works, which are not copyrightable at all, regardless of their
> "edictive" (no such word exists in my dictionary) nature.
>
> Mathias

Stephen LaPorte
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation

*This message might have confidential or legally privileged information in
it. If you have received this message by accident, please delete it and let
us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only serve as an
attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not give legal
advice to or serve as a lawyer for community members, volunteers, or staff
members in their personal capacity.*