[Advocacy Advisors] Transparency and "right to be forgotten" notices from search engines

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 11:01:56 UTC 2014

Hi Stephen,

thank you for sharing this! I do like the position so far and do agree that
this, well, let's call it half-baked court decision causes a lot of
problems without actually solving the issue at hand (data protection, right
to privacy) and I therefore welcome the WMF being active here.

Just one thing that is important to me: Since the General Data Protection
Directive is currently in the making in the EU, Google is trying to use
this terrible court decision as a lobbying tool to remove other unwelcome
passages in the legislation. We must be careful not become a pawn in
between Google's interests and the data protection advocates.

Both freedom of knowledge and right to privacy are legitimate demands. I
believe we should stand up against the court decision and its
implementation, not necessary the principle, since even we at Wikipedia do
permanently delete some information we consider too personal. The
incomprehensible thing here  is that the de-indexed data is perfectly legal
and remains published, but has to be legally de-indexed.

Just to clarify, I don't think this has happened, I simply want to warn of
such a risk. I think WMF Legal is doing a great job on this so far.

Cheers,
Dimi