[Advocacy Advisors] Coalitions on mass surveillance

Stephen LaPorte slaporte at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 30 00:30:06 UTC 2014

Hello all,

We are considering joining the following coalitions which seek to protect
free expression and privacy by opposing mass surveillance, and we would
like to get your input. The Wikimedia community raised concerns with PRISM
and other mass surveillance programs during a discussion on the topic in
July 2013,[0] as well as in our recent consultation on our revised privacy
policy.[1] After these discussions, we looked for opportunities to take a
stance on mass surveillance that was consistent with our movement's mission
and values, and is more global in nature. We believe the following two
coalitions may meet these criteria:

Necessary and Proportionate (https://necessaryandproportionate.org) - a set
of principles on mass surveillance, based on international human rights
obligations.

Reform Government Surveillance (https://reformgovernmentsurveillance.com) -
a call for global government surveillance reform, focusing on transparency
and appropriate limitations.

We would like to join like-minded organizations and ask for reform on the
current state of mass surveillance. Privacy and free expression are
essential components of our mission to disseminate free educational
content. Your input on joining these coalitions would be greatly
appreciated.

0. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:PRISM

1. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy

--
Stephen LaPorte
Legal Counsel

*For legal reasons, I may only serve as an attorney for the Wikimedia
Foundation. This means I may not give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer
for community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal
capacity.*