[Advocacy Advisors] FYI - Creative Commons statement on copyright reform

Stephen LaPorte slaporte at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 23 20:48:12 UTC 2013

Hello Dimi and Bea,

I agree, this is great start for a conversation. I posted the list to a
talk page on Meta, so we can keep track of your suggestions:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Advocacy

Feel free to add to the list, discuss, or re-organize.

Stephen

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Beatriz Busaniche <bea at vialibre.org.ar>wrote:

> El 23/10/13 12:36, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov escribió:
> > *Fundamental goals:*
> > Shorten (or prevent extension) of copyright terms
> > Raising treshhold for required added creativity
> > Standardised limitations and exceptions
> > Opt-in copyright system (like patent law)
>

> Great Summary!!
> I'd rather say: Fundamental goal:
> * Strengthen the public domain.
>
> For that we need:
>
> > Shorten (or prevent extension) of copyright terms
> > Raising treshhold for required added creativity
> > Standardised limitations and exceptions
> > Opt-in copyright system (like patent law)
>
> And I would like to add something related to Orphan works.  Opt-in
> system if good for that, but we also need a clear policy for them.
>
> Regards,
> Bea

Stephen LaPorte
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation

*For legal reasons, I may only serve as an attorney for the Wikimedia
Foundation. This means I may not give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer
for community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal
capacity.*