[Advocacy Advisors] Which would help volunteer editors more?

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 22:02:27 UTC 2013

On Nov 29, 2013 5:14 AM, "Raul Veede" <raul.veede at gmail.com> wrote:

>... you would like to focus on real global problems that
> are also connected to the problems of the Wikimedian
> community like creating a reliable education system
> in Sub-Saharan Africa?

That is in fact my day job. I have been unable to effect as positive change
in the field in large if not largest part due to the economic and political
conditions in the United States, where I used to live. Why isn't USAID
doing as much for Africa as it did for the Pacific Rim? Because the
diplomats have been losing out to the arms dealers internationally.
If Wikimedians wanted to address that problem within the confines of not
taking a stand on U.S. economic issues, we could have a drive to translate
instructions for obtaining exchange student visas and invitations. I think
that would be great, but much less effective than taking a principled stand
on the economic issues which enable the arms dealers to operate with
impunity in the largest economy where most of them are connected with to
begin with.

I have done plenty for education in the developing world, including
improving some of the most important health care articles and preparing
them for translation. If I thought the most positive overall change could
be effected by doing something about the developing world, then I would say
so, and I have long been on record as supporting the ratification of the
Convention on the Rights of the Child and its protocols without
reservation, e.g. at http://j.mp/amendmentact

Best regards,
James Salsman