[Advocacy Advisors] PRISM blog post

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 14 23:37:21 UTC 2013

Hi Advisory Group,

On behalf of myself and Geoff, we’d like to direct your attention to
our blog post about the PRISM situation, posted at:
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/06/14/prism-surveillance-wikimedia/

We also invite you to share your thoughts on the talk page at:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:PRISM

In summary, we are inclined to recommend that we collaborate with
Mozilla, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Free Software
Foundation, and the Center for Democracy and Technology in their
efforts to demand transparency from the government. These groups have
now prepared an open letter to the U.S. Congress (available at
stopwatching.us), calling for transparency, investigation, reform, and
accountability. They plan to take further action, and they have asked
other organizations (like WMF) to join them.

Please take this opportunity to share what you think. We will consider
all feedback, but because events are moving quickly, we feel we need
to make a decision by June 21, 2013.

Many thanks,

Luis and Geoff

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

Geoff Brigham
General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about
the mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for
legal/ethical reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a
lawyer for, community members, volunteers, or staff members in their
personal capacity.