[Advocacy Advisors] [Wikimedia-l] WMF response to PRISM?

Amgine amgine at wikimedians.ca
Thu Jul 11 19:20:54 UTC 2013

On 11/07/13 10:24 AM, Luis Villa wrote:
> That is what I meant by "US-focused" - I hope it clarifies.
>
> Luis

We will have to agree to disagree. IMO saying "don't spy on US
citizens" does not say, explicitly or implicitly, "go ahead and spy on
non-US citizens." It says what it says and nothing more, and there is
nothing preventing the Foundation from also saying "don't spy on
French citizens" or "don't spy on people who use cell phones" or
"don't spy on blue people."

I understand you are in a potential conflict between public
perceptions/relations and taking an advocational position on a
controversial topic, however there is no possible way to avoid that
conflict. By dithering you are also creating a negative public perception.

Be bold.

Amgine