[Advocacy Advisors] EU Data Protection Reform / "Right to be forgotten" softened

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 20:27:09 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Of course, when it comes to user data protection, we're lightyears ahead of
a number of for-profit, commercial enterprises nedless to be mentioned
here. And yes, the new proposed changes in the parliament are going in the
right direction for us, so there's no need to panic.

What we need to take away from this is that we must keep our eyes open in
the future for risky law proposals or ammendments (not just in the EU).

The issue with Wiki*edia is that we're neither a company, nor a citizen nor
a traditional community, so we're very easily overlooked in the lawmaking
process. Also, our problems and issues are so specific and unique that they
are hardly ever fully addressed by traditional NGOs or anybody else for
that matter. We're the odd kid on the block.

An while it is very easy to raise valid concerns at an early stage and have
them reviewed by the decision-makers, at a later stage this becomes
increasingly difficult. We must learn to monitor legislation proposals
concerning us and to request legal analyses early on if we see something
worrisome. After all better safe than sorry, right?

Dimi