[Advocacy Advisors] Does the Foundation intend to propose any actual actions?

James Alexander jalexander at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 15 19:44:23 UTC 2013

James,

As a community member I think the SOPA discussion and more global
discussions after that made it quite clear that actions should be
incredibly rare and that, generally, it's better for them to come from the
community rather then from suggestions that the Foundation makes. I'm sure
that the legal staff will make suggestions that they think need to be made
but they should do so incredibly judiciously, community members on this
list should not feel themselves so restrained.

My general understanding of this list from the start was as more of a space
for community members (including at times staff members, but in their role
as community members) to discuss and isolate ideas that rang true and
needed more input or action from the community. If none of them are
emerging, it's a clear sign that the community isn't comfortable creating
an action out of them.

James

James Alexander
Wikimedia Foundation