[Advocacy Advisors] Fwd: [Wikimedia-l] Yet Another Cybercrime Law (Philippines)

Geoff Brigham gbrigham at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 3 14:46:24 UTC 2012

Friendly reminder ... I'm assuming that nobody intends to use any WMF
resources; if so, this guideline would apply.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal_and_Community_Advocacy/Foundation_Policy_and_Political_Association_Guideline

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Stephen LaPorte <slaporte at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> Below is an update on the Filipino editor community's discussions about
> the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012 (Republic Act 10175).

> Hello Benjamin,
>
> As far as Wikipedia is concerned, some members of the Filipino editors'
> community (myself included) are trying to gather a consensus before
> requesting for a blackout of the English Wikipedia for the Philippines
> (that is, a 24-hour blackout that will only take effect here and not
> including other countries). We might probably include other local
> Philippine-language Wikipedias as well, but that's still under discussion,
> here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:TAMBAY#Proposed_blackout
>
> I have only been able to participate in soliciting the input of other Pinoy
> WIkipedians (through messages in their Talk pages) just now, as I was away
> from my desktop computers recently. So I'm not sure how many other Filipino
> Wikipedians are yet to hear of our proposal. (This proposal, by the way, is
> an initiative of the local editing community and is not an official action
> of the local chapter, Wikimedia Philippines.)
>
> Outside Wikipedia, however, the rage against the bill is pretty s trong. A
> lot of Filipinos have changes their Facebook and Twitter profile pictures
> into a solid black square. Even a news website
> (http://www.interaksyon.com/) changed
> its layout to a black background. There was a protest movement yesterday at
> the Supreme Court, in support of the seven (7) petitions asking for a
> temporary restraining order (TRO) of Republic Act 10175; however, no TRO
> was issued yesterday as a number of judges were absent because of official
> duties. Suffice it to say that, yes, there is a significant opposition to
> the Cybercrime Law (specifically on the provisions on libel), and for sure
> it will be in the news in the days to come....
>

> Paolo Barazon
> Trustee, Wikimedia Philippines
> (speaking on a personal capacity, not on behalf of Wikimedia Philippines)
>

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Benjamin Lees <emufarmers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/09/philippines-new-cybercrime-prevention-act-troubling-free-expression
> > I suppose this is old news by now, but I haven't seen it mentioned here
> > yet.  Are any projects taking action?
>

> --
> Stephen LaPorte
> Legal Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation

Geoff Brigham
General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
149 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6750
gbrigham at wikimedia.org

*California Registered In-House Counsel*

*This message might have confidential or legally privileged information in
it. If you have received this message by accident, please delete it and let
us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only serve as an
attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not give legal
advice to or serve as a lawyer for community members, volunteers, or staff
members in their personal capacity.*